Mold & Mildew
Do you Have Mold & Mildew in your Basement?
Your dark and damp basement is a literal breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and mildew. As disgusting as it may sound, it is a reality. While mold and mildew are normally easy to spot due to their texture and coloration, just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Mold can grow anywhere there is moisture, air, and warmth. It can grow on any organic material including drywall, fabric, wallpaper, wood, and even paint! The temperature only needs to be about 40 degrees Fahrenheit for reproduction and growth. Mold can grow all year round in any home, no matter how clean that home may be. The scary part is that the spores can rise throughout the home even if the mold is only in the basement or crawl space.
How do you know if you have a mold or mildew problem? It’s easy; just open your eyes and nose. Use your eyes to take a look around. Mold and mildew can come in an array of colors ranging from the common browns, blacks, and grays to more vibrant yellows, purples, and pinks, and a handful of colors in between. They can grow on about any surface. Any noticeable discoloration of your basement walls or floors could be the start of mold or mildew growth. If you can’t see it, then maybe you can smell it. The nose knows! One of the most obvious signs that your basement may have a mold or mildew problem is the smell. Take a whiff. If it smells bad, then it probably is bad! The poor circulation and flow causes the basement’s air to become stagnant. The odor continues to build and becomes quite noticeable. Never ignore a musty or moldy odor. It’s a clear indication that there’s an issue that needs dealt with.
More and more Americans are reporting health issues affected by the presence of mold in their crawl spaces and basements. Thousands of lawsuits have been filed in recent years against landlords over similar related mold issues, according to the Journal of Property Management. Indoor air pollutants and allergens like mold spores can wreak havoc on the health of the young and old alike. Possible symptoms include headaches, stuffy or runny noses, watery or itchy eyes, scratchy throat, fatigue, and discomfort. It’s easy to figure out if these symptoms are caused by something in the home, like mold or mildew, if the symptoms dissipate or disappear after leaving the home. The best way to protect you and your family is to prevent the problem before it can begin.
Ignoring the presence of mold is not only hazardous to the health of the home’s occupants, but can also lead to more expensive home repair in the future due to the damage caused by the untreated mold. Many homeowners work hard to create a convenient home office, glorious man cave, recreation space, or family area in their basement. These finished rooms are often the result of expensive remodeling efforts. In these cases it’s even more important to waterproof and remove moisture from the homeowner’s basement. Moisture can easily ruin carpet, drywall, framing, and wooden floors. Mold and mildew in a basement can also detract drastically from a home’s resale value.
The cleanup and removal of mold and mildew can be done with bleach and chemicals, but it’s a messy job, and only a temporary solution to the problem. The cause of the mold needs to be eliminated or else the mold will just continue to reappear, even through protective coatings and paint. What’s the easiest and quickest way to get treatment for your sick basement? Call Garrett Basement Waterproofing! We’ve got the cure for your home’s moisture problems. With our expert care, you’ll find yourself in a long lasting mold and mildew free environment, for a reasonable rate!